Self Destruction

Hey Everyone!

Before I start, a warning:


BUILDING ROBOTS IS DANGEROUS AND VERY EASILY KILL YOU. TODAY WAS A STARK REMINDER THAT BUILDING ANY ROBOT CAN EASILY HARM YOU.

So with a few days to go, it really looked like it was going to be ready. Not today...

To address the ground clearance issues, I found some smaller wheels and fitted them as drive wheels. This dropped the whole robot by about half a inch or so (I've not measured it yet). I also fashioned a removable link so at least it now meets that rule. I also highlighted some of the paintwork blemishes with a black Sharpie pen to make it more interesting to look at and fitted the "whacker" bars at the back (not the front) of the robot.

I then decided that The Honey Badger needed testing. First, a few beauty shots...

I had a old computer case to test the weapon with which is made out of Aluminium so I dug that out and got ready...

Again, I am going to say this: BUILDING ROBOTS IS DANGEROUS AND VERY EASILY KILL YOU.

Oh boy... In the garden there are some slate shelves which we've not mounted yet. It happened fairly quickly but I think it moved around and smacked into that, causing the tip to fly off. It also broke the bar as well...

In the video, I couldn't get one side to move. Turns out it was just a broken wire.

Another beauty shot of The Honey Badger when unshelled. It is actually fairly basic in there.

And here is The Honey Badger facing the case (remembering, the bars are on the back).

I fashioned another spinning blade made out of the original bar blade fitted to The Honey Badger a few weeks ago and attached two metal gypsum straps to it. It looks awful but I just needed to see how well the weapon would work. So with it mounted and me behind the door, The Honey Badger once again set about trashing the case...

Yeah... note to everyone (and myself), stop making weapons out of wood. However, as noted, the weapon does, in principle, work. I also went hunting around the garden for the red tip fearing it had damaged something (or someone) and found it in the lavender bush (you can just make out the tip flying off in the first video).

The whack hat bent at least one of the exterior grade self tapping screws!

The gouge in the computer case I am really impressed with...

...and here is the reverse. All in all, 2 dents and a clean gouge with the unsharpened metal blades.

I need to get the bar blade remade (obviously) but for demo purposes, I am going to reinstate the original bar blade (with the red tips) and then use that for the measurements when I send off the application. Any replacement will be to the same length.

Seeya all on the net!

Written by Ocracoke - 66